Thursday, April 26, 2007

DAY 10: An apple a day

So in honor of Syracuse, I did a speed writing exercise with my last period class. You throw ou a theme and everyone writes for at least two minutes on that topic. When someone yells STOP, everyone must do just that. The stopper shares and calls on five others. When they are finished, the stopper picks the next theme. Repeat.

Someone threw out the phrase "an apple a day..."

I decided since I need to post and writing poems about fruit will win you a National Indies Champ title that it was worth a shot.




Someone once said
that you cannot peel an apple
inside your imagination.

You could spend hours
thinking of each curve
the way the light reflects off
its skin
be it red, green, or yellow.

It doesn't matter.

Once you try to
slip off the flesh,
strip it of color,
it will change.

The bruises that
appear will shift
their location.
The knife will
melt into another
knife when hidden beneath
waxy skin.
The length of each peel will become distorted.

They also say that
an apple a day will
prolong your life.

But I think that
if you keep trying to peel it,
you will improve
so that as your
last breath slips like
an orchard breeze from your tongue
heaven will appear.

But not as a brilliant white light,
but as a naked apple that will never turn brown
sitting perfectly beside one
complete
unbroken
peel.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I like this, but I don't think it's gonna get you an Indies Champ title, since you don't compare the fruit to your backbone.

But freal, cool idea.

electronic mily said...

Hello. I really really like this. I also am very tired and having typing problems, so I can't really give you a coherent comment about it, but still. Very cool.